Notice

All material in this blog (written/audio/visual) is copyrighted. Do not duplicate without explicit consent from the author.

12 March 2009

Anticipation





If you've never been thrilled to the very edges of your soul by a flower in spring bloom, maybe your soul has never been in bloom.
~Audra Foveo





Spring is coming. You know why I know that? Because from end of fall to the onset of winter, I keep a watchful eye on my garden. The green lush slowly turns to brown then dries up and falls to the ground only to be blown away by the wind or pounded to mulch by the rain. But as winter draws to a close, there are many clues that spring is really, for sure, coming. In my garden the first thing I see are the crocuses. White, purple and orange, a welcome sight among the sticks and branches void of leaves. The minute these bloom, my heart fills with hope and a yearning to taste spring.

Soon, the crocosmias and day lilies poke their heads through the dirt. Even the sweet woodruff begins to resume its job of covering the ground once again. Even though the weather changes drastically every 15 minutes, it doesn't stop the deciduous ostrich ferns to start rolling out their fronds. The oak leaf hydrangeas sprout little leafs that will eventually grow 8 inches wide. Even Pat, the dwarf lilac, grows plump with baby budlets and promises lavender beauty in the near future.

In places around the city, I see witch hazel trees in full winter blooms of orange and yellow and tulips almost ready to burst into color.



When springs starts to reveal itself to me, I can't help but take a deep breath and with my exhale send a thank you to the spirits of the spring for coming once again. I love spring. You can probably tell that by now. It's like my own personal New Year's celebration. It's a time of renewal, new growth and new beginnings. It's a time to be thankful for things in life that seem to be so routine. They happen over and over again only to be taken for granted. But when you really take time to appreciate them you realize how much they mean to you and how important they are.

Winter is long, cold, wet and rainy. Yet spring always pushes its way through and somehow manages to come back every year. That's why I praise the spring time. It brings hope of warmth, sunshine, playing outside, and having gatherings in your backyard. It makes you want to dig in the dirt. And you can once again go without shoes and avoid frostbite. Spring brings the hope of the end to Winter. And if you pay attention, it will quietly tell you when it is here.


1 comment:

  1. Oh my soul is singing as well! Today is a day of sunshine and a chance to stick my hands in the dirt. What joy it shall bring!

    ReplyDelete