Notice

All material in this blog (written/audio/visual) is copyrighted. Do not duplicate without explicit consent from the author.

07 July 2009

Know Thy Neighbor

While the spirit of neighborliness was important on the frontier because neighbors were so few, it is even more important now because our neighbors are so many.
~Lady Bird Johnson
Warren always make sure we get to know our neighbors well. And let me tell you, we know our neighbors. That's my honeys, always making friends. I love that about him. The part about knowing your neighbors, he says it is not just to make friends with them, but also so that they know him and that we know who is around us day and night. Building trust, builds relationships and we all end up looking out for eachother and keeping an eye on eachother's houses and what is going on on our street.
So with these neighborly companionships come duties. Vacation duties. While the neighbors play, Sarah waters their gardens, takes in their mail, waters their houseplants and feeds their cats for them. Yes, I do. And I totally dig helping out because it's not like I have to drive anywhere or anything. I take my glass of wine and mosey on over to the house next door or down the street a ways. My mind relaxes as I check the plants and water the beds. It's peaceful to be the caretaker of someone elses yard sometimes.
There are many unexpected bonuses that come with taking care of our friends homes. Like this summer for instance, while two of our neighbors are away, their gardens will become ripe with tomatoes, lettuces, broccoli, and snap peas. Encourage me they did, to eat the produce for it will not be good when they return. Our neighbors return the favor by feeding our cat and watering for us when we decide to pick up and get out of town for a while. Plus, we've made some really good connections with people and have picked up a few good friends along the way. I even work with one of my neighbors now. Crazy isn't it. It seems as if those ancient commandents should not just say love thy neighbor, they should say know thy neighbor!

No comments:

Post a Comment